26 JULY – 1 AUGUST 2021
DATES WILL PROBABLY BE 25-31 JULY 2022.
Currently available places:
Violin: 0 of 16 – Viola: 0 of 6 – Cello: 0 of 6
Double bass: 0 of 3 – Flute: 0 of 3 – Oboe: 0 of 3
Clarinet: 0 of 3 – Bassoon: 0 of 3 – Horn: 0 of 4
Trumpet: 0 of 2 – Trombone: 0 of 3 – Tuba: 0 of 1
Timpani/Percussion: 0 of 2
- A friendly orchestral course for adults and young people in the stunningly beautiful south eastern corner of Sicily.
- Our base is the baroque town Scicli (pronounced Shee-klee!) with a concert there at the end of the week.
- Enjoy the superb history, architecture, beaches, food and hospitality of this unspoilt region!
- If you know the TV series ‘Inspector Montalbano’ then you will already be familiar with this area.
- Spouses / partners / children /friends are most welcome, and (non-playing ones) are exempt from the course fee.
Peter Fender is the conductor and Jessica O’Leary the leader (see About Us for more info).
There will be five rehearsals during the week (in Scicli) and the concert will be on the Saturday, preceded by an additional late afternoon rehearsal.
This year there will also be a room available in which you can play chamber music (should you wish), and free chamber music coaching will be available.
The exact repertoire for 2020 is yet to be confirmed but will include tenor arias from the great Italian operas in which we will be joined by a Sicilian tenor. We will play a broad mix of classical items. Previous courses have included music by Bartok, Beethoven, Elgar, Handel, Haydn, Mozart, Puccini, Ravel, Rossini and Vivaldi. We have played with the following soloists: Norma Ritchie (mezzo-soprano), Julian Fish (violin), Abigail Dance (violin), Ian Cumming (trumpet), Katy Noland (clarinet) and Janina Byrne (flute). We have also performed choruses from Italian operas with the Coro Polifonico Enarmonia from Ragusa, director Salvatore Scannavino.
Instruments required: flute / oboe / clarinet / bassoon / horn / trumpet / trombone (tenor and bass) / tuba / violin / viola / ‘cello / double bass / timpani / percussion.
We have players of a variety of standards across the orchestra, including professional.
You will be spending time in the Val di Noto, and particularly in the town of Scicli, a UNESCO World Heritage Site with a town centre which is a fine example of late baroque architecture.
As well as the musical side of the week, there will be plenty of time to explore – whether your passion is history, architecture, beaches or food. Or you could just chill out with a granita in a wonderfully relaxing atmosphere!
There will be optional extra trips arranged to local places of interest. Previous trips have been to: Donnafugata Castle, Montalbano’s house at ‘Marinella’ (really called Punta Secca), the beautiful city Ragusa and a meal (including fresh ricotta) on a working dairy farm. A small supplement to cover the cost of transport will be requested during the week from each person going on each trip. The beach is a short bus ride away.
There are three costs involved (apart from general costs relating to food etc):
- Course: the standard course fee is £240. Reductions are available (for example, a £20 discount if you pay by 31 December 2019). Please see the Cost page for full details.
- Travel: you must book and pay for your own travel.
- Accommodation: we can arrange bed & breakfast accommodation for you in local apartments, or you can arrange your own accommodation. Please see the Full Information page for details.
NB: Large instruments: players of large instruments are eligible for help with the cost of transporting their instrument – alternatively we may be able to hire an instrument for you in Sicily (which we would pay for). Please enquire.